Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heidenau K60 Tires

Got a couple of hundred miles on these tires now and I'm really enjoying them. If anyone's interested in a brief review, let me know...
    Last edited by Evan E; 06-25-2012 at 02:22 PM.

That would be nice. Interested on amount of pavement noise that they have for one thing.
    '01 F650GS Titanium Blue
    '05 F650GS-P Aura White
    Just thumpin' around SW MO

On the pavement they have a pronounced howl just between about 55 and 60mph, otherwise they are pretty quiet. It seems like it's getting quieter as the tires wear in, but maybe I'm just getting used to it. With earplugs, I can barely tell it's there.

How would you rate pavement stability with "normal" (i.e. not aggressive) cornering? Compared to the Tourances, if you've had them.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan E View Post
    Got a couple of hundred miles on these tires now and I'm really enjoying them. If anyone's interested in a brief review, let me know...
    That bike is WAY too clean to give me the kind of review I want... ;-) And you can either remove that "possum scraper" (rear tire "hugger" mounted to swingarm) now while it is intact, or remove the broken pieces after a few trail rides.

I've got a set in the garage, in the process of being installed... but seems I have a busticated front spoke that I'm going to have to wait a week to replace as it seems to be made of almost unobtanium (Yes, I know I COULD just install the old nipple under the rim strip and add the spoke after the tire install, but I'm anal and would rather be sure the nipple doesn't get under the rim strip somehow, with no easy way to re-arrange it...).

Not sure what kind of mountains the loonies may try to scale in CO, so figured I'd better install the meatiest road tires I dare.

Nice bike, I like the possum scraper, it just says BMW.

John

I Like 'em! K60's with scrapage: Little noisy (I like the sound) and real nice on/off. Lately I've been 50/50.

F650 GS 2001 (project complete), Dakar 2002

Marty--I was wondering about the possum scraper. Figured it must have some function so I left it on, now I've kinda gotten used to the way it looks.

I've had Anakees and Tourances on the bike in the past. Both of those tires "felt" more planted on the pavement, especially the Anakees. Cornering was very intuitive and precise, like the bike was on rails. The Heidenaus don't have that solid, positive feel on the street, they have a softer feel with maybe a bit more vibration, but I can lean just as far and corner as fast. If there is some sacrifice in street handling, it exists at a point beyond where I'm willing to push it so I don't feel like I'm giving anything up, other than the squishier ride, which I'm getting used to, into even. I got stuck in a really heavy rainstorm the other day and in the worst of it a disoriented driver pulled out of a side road right in front of me. I had to hit the brakes much harder than I would have wanted to under those conditions, and the wheels never locked up and the bike stayed beautifully under control, so I'm impressed with wet weather handling on pavement. So far I've been on a range of dirt roads, some pretty bad, and no surprise that's where the Heidenaus were dramatically different from the other tires I've had on the F. They really bite into the loose stuff. I have not tried pure mud, but we get a lot of wet, gravelly stuff where I ride, with deep puddles and soft dirt, and the Heidenaus just power through places where I would have been very unstable on the Anakees or Tourances. They seem to take longer than I expected to wear in and I think they may still be improving after about 200 miles, but if they stay like this I've be very happy with them.

I've only been riding a couple of years and I'd like to get into some adv riding with some off-road (easy stuff to start!). Since I still need my bike to be functional on streets and freeways I've been considering the following:

1) Heidenau K60
    2) Continental Escape
    3) Continental TKC 80

Probably in that order of preference as well. Are you guys still loving the K60?
    Gregory | '02 F650GS

Quote Originally Posted by Gyepes View Post
    I've only been riding a couple of years and I'd like to get into some adv riding with some off-road (easy stuff to start!). Since I still need my bike to be functional on streets and freeways I've been considering the following:

1) Heidenau K60
    2) Continental Escape
    3) Continental TKC 80

Probably in that order of preference as well. Are you guys still loving the K60?
    I just put on a set of K60's and am leaving in a couple of weeks for a 3-4,000 mile on/off road trip, so I will let you know how they behaved.
    Last edited by Everett; 08-23-2012 at 11:52 AM.